North Carolina Questions & Answers

Q: Help with bank levy

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 23, 2019
Bruce Alexander Minnick's answer
This would be an easy problem to solve if it did not involve two separate states. If the bank levy was filed in the state of North Carolina you should hire a NC lawyer to help you. If the action was filed in Ohio, you need an Ohio lawyer. Do not try to defend against this levy without a lawyer.

Q: When an adult child leaves the home (22y/o), under bad circumstances, the items remaining in the home belong to whom?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 22, 2019
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
Items in the house belong to whomever owns them. Items left your your house do not magically become yours by mere virtue of being left in your house. If there are items that belong to your adult child, you are likely under a bailment obligation to store them safely for some period of time. You should provide written notice for your adult child to pick up the belongings and allow a reasonable period of time to do so - say 3 months or so, maybe longer. You can charge a reasonable storage fee....

Q: I received a ticket in 2001 for “reckless driving”. I was by my recruiter while in basic he would take care of it

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 20, 2019
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
My firm has about 30 years of combined traffic ticket experience. I have never heard of what you described. However, if there is no hold on your license - do you really care how it's possible?

Q: I am bullied daily at work. complained but no results. I have had severe emotional stress/suicidal thoughts. Can I sue?

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 19, 2019
Bruce Alexander Minnick's answer
If you feel you are being discriminated against at work you should either contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in Washington DC or contact the corresponding state agency in South Carolina that also handles these claims.

Q: When I was an adolescent my mother did therapy with me in our living room. Is it possible to sue for this?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Legal Malpractice for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 18, 2019
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
You not only want to blame talks you had with your mommy as a pre-teen for the problems you have as a 30 year old adult but want to sue her for it as well? There is no circumstance I can think of where legal action for something like that should have even crossed your mind let alone be something that is 'appropriate'. You say she doesn't get it - neither do I but sadly in today's world of ultra soft sensitive people, I suppose it may be possible. If this is something you feel strongly about,...

Q: How do i go about seeking benefits on possible lost property in my bloodline in Tarboro NC fromthe Parker bloodline

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 17, 2019
Timur Akpinar's answer
As a starting point, you could contact the North Carolina Department of State Treasurer to see if they have records of unclaimed property in your family name.

Tim Akpinar

Q: Can I get a restraining order on my children's father before he gets released from prison.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 17, 2019
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
Seriously? Has he been threatening you from jail? The man has been in jail and presumably without him even doing anything (because he hasn't been release yet) you want to heap a bit more misery and grief on him right out of the literal gate, in the form of a restraining order based on stuff he did before being jailed that you were essentially too lazy to bother charging him with before he went to jail? Man, there really is no fury like a woman scorned.

Sadly, you likely can but you...

Q: I need to sue Woodforest National Bank in Hendersonville North Carolina please contact me at

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 16, 2019
Bruce Alexander Minnick's answer
You will get a vetter response by looking for a lawyer using the Justia search engine on this site.

Q: What are the buyers rights to cancel a proposal for painting services in North Carolina?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 15, 2019
Bruce Alexander Minnick's answer
Unless you hire a lawyer to write the painting contactor a letter explaining why they should refund your money, you may have to sue them in a small claims court.

Q: I got property tax on car when I used in Connecticut. From 2003 to 2018. Amount is over $6000.00. How to setie

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 15, 2019
Bruce Alexander Minnick's answer
This question is confusing as written. It appears you are saying you failed to pay Connecticut personal property tax on your car(s) for the past 15 years, then moved to North Carolina; and now that Connecticut has started dunning you for the taxes, you are asking lawyers how to settle? Is that right? If so, take about $1,500 of the $6,000 you "saved" by not paying your taxes and hire a competent lawyer to negotiate a settlement with Connecticut for you.

Q: I need a divorce lawyer but have no money How can I find one. I’m on disability with very limited income

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and DUI / DWI for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 14, 2019
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
You can potentially do it yourself somewhat for free if you are indigent and your local court provides a divorce forms packet. It is extremely difficult and confusing for most people and most basically end up wasting their time and some money trying to do it themselves. We can provide personalized divorce forms that you pretty much just sign & submit for $95 but if you can scrape together $395 there is no question having us do things for you is best. Visit our site at: to...

Q: What can I do to have my father arrested for committing a serious crime against my wife?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 14, 2019
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
Your story just doesn't add up. If he has stalked her - just go to your local magistrate and swear out a warrant. If you can't get a warrant, odds are it didn't amount to stalking rather than mysterious 'official forces' are conspiring against you. Also, describe events clearly and accurately - it is simply not true that he chased he "all through town" - that simply did not happen. While he may have chased her through some specific portion of town maybe even a significant portion, I assure...

Q: My wife has taken a bunch of my personal items I had before marriage and says I’m not getting them back what can I do

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 14, 2019
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
Based on your description, a lot of what you say she has done is likely not legal. According to you she has likely committed perjury to use the court system against you, stolen your personal property, likely committed adultery (which is technically still a crime here in good ol' boy North Carolina) and seems to have basically gotten away with all of it. Further, she seems to think either that there is nothing you can do about it or that you simply won't do anything about it, even to the point...

Q: Hi, I started working at a IGA store in my town where I noticed I was being underpaid the agreed wage rate.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 14, 2019
Kirk Angel's answer
If the employer is not paying you a promised wage, you can file a complaint for free with the North Carolina Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Bureau. Search online and their website will give you information on filing via phone.

Q: What do I do if my ex wife is wanting to move my son out of NC without a custody agreement ?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 14, 2019
Wendy Smith's answer
You need to hire an attorney ASAP to file a custody complaint and prevent the move.

Q: Hi my son was kept away from me for 9 yrs. He has recently reached out to me and is 14 yrs old now.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 13, 2019
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
"Please help!" Hmmmm - really? With what exactly - not paying child support perhaps? Couldn't be you need help with visitation with your son. If so, seems the time to have asked for help with that was 9 years ago. Or 8 years ago. Or 7 years ago. It seems very much like what you are saying is you are happy your son is now in your life as long as you don't risk having to pay back or future child support. It further seems you want to play the victim here (when you absolutely are not) with...

Q: Can you conduct a Summary administration (one real-property asset) in NC if the adult children renounce? (no will)

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 12, 2019
Charles Evan Lohr's answer
There is likely a better option than summary administration. Feel free to give me a call to discuss.

Evan Lohr


Q: If you believe a car malfunction led to your injuries who or what attorney would you try to get for that? Thank you

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 12, 2019
Ross Diamond III's answer
Depending on evidence in the case, Toyota could be named in the suit. Since you have a lawyer representing you, this is something to discuss with that lawyer.

Q: How can I take control of an abandoned trademark?

1 Answer | Asked in Trademark for North Carolina on
Answered on Apr 11, 2019
Griffin Klema's answer
Well, you don't. Trademark rights are acquired by use. A REGISTRATION is not the source of the trademark RIGHT, using a mark crates the right. So the fact that a registration is abandoned doesn't mean you can't acquire trademark rights, and you don't simply take over a dead application. I've written a detailed post on how to evaluate abandoned trademarks:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.