Piscataway Township, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: My boyfriend came here on a touring visa and stayed. He wants to become a citizen.

He has been here for 12 years. Does he need to get married? If so, how long does the marriage have to be if it was not with me before he can get divorced?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paris Lee
Paris Lee
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Edison, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Before he can become a citizen, both of you first have to determine whether is he potentially eligible to first become a lawful permanent resident of the United States. You need to provide more information. You also need to clarify how and under what circumstances he entered the country twelve years ago.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.