Elk Grove, CA asked in Criminal Law for Oregon

Q: If I was arrested for a felony in Oregon, can I leave the state of Oregon before my arraignment?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Blake Nathaniel Dore
Blake Nathaniel Dore
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Generally, you have to sign a release agreement when you get out of jail. Many courts have a default condition of release that you may not leave the state and, if you do, you waive extradition from wherever you end up. Violating a condition of release is a very quick way to find yourself back in custody and facing a large bond to have to get back out. You should review your conditions of release and, if that doesn't answer your question, contact the court where you will be arraigned or a local attorney for more info.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.