Oregon Criminal Law Questions & Answers

Q: Will they take my baby away if she tests positive for THC when I give birth?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Answered on Jan 2, 2019
Daniel DiCicco's answer
No, they won't take the baby away. You will also very likely test clean by the time you give birth.

Q: Can a felon own black powder guns in oregon

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Oregon on
Answered on Dec 6, 2018
Daniel DiCicco's answer
A black powder gun counts as a firearm. "Firearm means a weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of powder and which is readily capable of use as a weapon. "

Q: I was charged for multiple forgeries. Recently, I found they are past the statute of limitations. Do they Dismiss?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Answered on Dec 4, 2018
Daniel DiCicco's answer
It's likely that you are completely in the clear. If the statute of limitations has passed without a charge being filed then that is the end of it. Rest easy.

Q: Am i in Trouble and is my friend in deep trouble?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Oregon on
Answered on Dec 4, 2018
Daniel DiCicco's answer
You will not face any problems. She will have to deal with the DUI charge through the normal channels. It's a very common charge and in most cases a first time offense can be resolved without a criminal conviction. This is called "DUI Diversion" and while it is a bit of a pain in the butt, it's better than a conviction.

Q: What does "no attainder of treason shall work corruption of blood, or forfeiture except during the life of the..."?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Answered on Nov 6, 2018
Gary Kollin's answer
wikipedia and other sources which you may google are available on the internet

Q: What can happen to me?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Car Accidents for Oregon on
Answered on Oct 23, 2018
Brandon C. Foy's answer
You should not post online about or otherwise discuss this incident with anyone until you speak privately with an attorney. You can seek one out on your own, or you can contact the Oregon State Bar's Lawyer Referral Service. This service can refer you to a local lawyer who might be able to assist you with your legal matter, and entitles you to an initial consultation of up to 30 minutes for a maximum fee of $35. Any fees attorneys charge beyond the initial consultation, however, are not set and...

Q: Does a bank have the authority to sale my land and home while I'm incarcerated and not inform me ?

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Oregon on
Answered on Oct 17, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
You need to have an attorney look into this ASAP. There are many obstacles that must be satisfied, plus additional ones if you were in jail, to foreclose in property. If you were not notified, you may have a claim.

Q: Back in 2013 in Oregon at the beach, my safe of marijuana was seized but was never tied back to me. Can I get it back?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Answered on Oct 16, 2018
Gary Kollin's answer
I think you are probably spinning your wheels for nothing. I doubt that the safe is still in their possession

Q: Is anything stopping me from going home?

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon on
Answered on Oct 2, 2018
Jessica Larsen's answer
If you have criminal charges pending against you, you cannot have contact with the alleged victim due to an automatic no contact order that is imposed at the beginning of a criminal case. The house is still marital property, unless there was a legal separation or dissolution proceeding that distributed your assets between the two of you. You would also be prevented from returning home if you are in the process of dissolution and the judge has awarded exclusive use of the house to your wife. In...

Q: How does US v Miller support the decision in the Heller case? It seems to do the opposite to me.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oregon on
Answered on Sep 24, 2018
Gary Kollin's answer
Is it approved for you to seekanswers from lawyers in order to complete your assignment?

Are yu doing the work or you asking for someone to do the work for you?

Q: My son was adopted by his paternal grand parents when he was 7. Now at almost 17 he wants to come live with me.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Adoption for Oregon on
Answered on Sep 9, 2018
Joanne Reisman's answer
Why risk being charged with custodial inference? When he turns 18 he can live anywhere he wants. Just tell him you have a room waiting for him when he turns 18 and he can stay as long as you both want.

Q: what are our options?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Answered on Aug 3, 2018
Joanne Reisman's answer
If your daughter is a minor in your custody you have the legal right to commit her for a psychiatric evaluation or to put her in some type of institution that works with problem children. You would have to figure out how to pay for these services. Your health insurance might cover the psychiatric evaluation and inpatient treatment if that is prescribed. It sounds like she already has two children and she is only 16?????? You might want to Petition the court to appoint you as the legal...

Q: How to get ex husband out of marital home if he's still on mortgage

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Answered on Jul 13, 2018
Gregory L Abbott's answer
Depending upon the exact facts, you may need to file a lawsuit to have him ejected. You should also talk to your divorce attorney to see if there is a way to get him found in contempt of court.

Q: I'll try making this question short and too the point without dragging on with tiny details, only facts. On Jan

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Oregon on
Answered on May 4, 2018
Jared Justice's answer
This is an incredibly frustrating situation. Unfortunately, bad advice is not a defense. However it can be incredibly mitigating.

The notice issue could possibly be a defense, but, most of the time when someone is convicted of a DUII they sign a suspension notice right there in court.

Q: Do character reference letters get read out loud during sentencing

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Oregon on
Answered on Mar 21, 2018
Kenneth Kahn II's answer
Character counts. When the judge meets you, they're meeting you for the first time. Never miss a chance to make a first impression. Dress respectfully. Bring witnesses who can speak out loud about your good character. Have your lawyer read reference letters out loud. They should be read slowly, so their content can be clearly heard and understood by the judge. Remember, all the judge knows about you is what they've read in the accusations. This is a chance to tell them more. As a...

Q: guy we were working for assaulted one of our workers 2x and now refuses to pay us. Says we are trying to extort

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Answered on Mar 6, 2018
Mr. Michael O. Stevens' answer
Hard to follow exactly what happened. If he assaulted you, you can sue for battery. If you were an employee, you can sue for the back wages and a penalty wage. If you were an independent contractor, you can sue for breach of contract.

Q: Is it illegal to walk out of a nail salon without paying if you received terrible or incomplete service

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Oregon on
Answered on Feb 12, 2018
Joanne Reisman's answer
You got some service so you should at least offer to pay for the part of the service you got.

Q: I am 18 and on probation . I want to move in with my girlfriend. My probation does not specifically say I can't move?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Answered on Jan 26, 2018
Joanne Reisman's answer
I don't know what your legal question is. You either can or can't move in with your girlfriend. Sounds like you should get clarification from either your criminal defense attorney or from whoever is supervising your probation. Remember that your terms of probation can be changed. The purpose of probation is to give you chance to show the court that you won't repeat whatever got you into trouble in the first place. If your reason for wanting to move out is so you will have less supervision,...

Q: can the courts make you clean asbestos from a torn down house as part of your community service

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Personal Injury and Criminal Law for Oregon on
Answered on Jan 23, 2018
Gregory Andrews Cade's answer
Since asbestos is a carcinogenic agent which needs to be carefully handled, the answer is no. Removing asbestos can entail tremendous health consequences, as well as serious environmental contamination, if performed incorrectly. Therefore, it is a job which must be left to professionals who have priorly undergone thorough training in this regard and know how to safely deal with hazardous substances. Your community service should definitely not include removing asbestos from old, damaged...

Q: I've threats from a man of death and bodily harm. The man has extensive history of beating women. What do I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Landlord - Tenant and Criminal Law for Oregon on
Answered on Jan 4, 2018
Gregory L Abbott's answer
Well first, given this fact pattern, if anything happens to you the police are already likely to be highly suspicious of him. Small comfort to you though. You should ask the Deputy District Attorney prosecuting this creep to immediately have a restraining order entered to protect you. Once in place, any violation of it allows the police to haul him off immediately rather than having to wait for him to break some further law. If, for any reason, that is somehow unavailable to you, you may...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.