Lancaster, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: 12 years ago, I was on fed.probation for 3 years and completed all aspects of the system. Can I now Vote or own a gun?

I'm very curious to know if, or how, I can restore my privileges to protect my family..Plz help me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Fishman
Brian Fishman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I don't know the answer as it depends on what you were on probation for. But, the NACDL (National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers) has put together a great resource on the "Restoration of Rights" for collateral consequences of criminal convictions. This document shares much if not all of the information you're seeking regarding the right to vote and own/possess a firearm.

You can find the document here:

I hope it is of assistance to you. If you're having trouble with the above link or can't retrieve the document, feel free to contact me and I'll be more then happy to email it to you.

Brian M. Fishman

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.