Portland, OR asked in Criminal Law for Oregon

Q: What shoud i do about the girl lieing to the detective

This girl told me that she had submitted a false report of being robbed and that she told the DET. I was the one who did it. I was called askin for $800 and if I don't pay her she would be filing berg charges. I picked her up she gave me some equipment and 5 plants which was witnessed. because she had no power and no place to take them to after the next day. I was pulled over after dropping her off on the 9th after her drop off. I went to jail for possession of marij. i had 5 plants. I told the police i came from her house.She said she is broke and has no money and if I could pay she was going to use the fact that I was pulled over with stuff in my car to convict me of burg or theft.

1. how or can i file charges on her for false reporting to a officer.

2. What do i do to protect myself from her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Blake Nathaniel Dore
Blake Nathaniel Dore
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You're in a tough situation. Your primary goal should not be to get revenge or file charges on her but rather to defend yourself against any false allegations. You may want to consider finding and retaining evidence that could help you like any text messages, call records or voicemails made around the time of the alleged theft. Names and contact information for the witnesses and perhaps written statements that be used to avoid charges or refresh your witnesses' memories in the future.

An attorney would be able to help you amass this evidence, store it and also represent you if the police do come calling. If you don't have an attorney, make sure to ask for one immediately if the police contact you. Anything you say to the police can be used against you.

One final note is that she may be blowing smoke. I assume she must be a medical marijuana patient to even consider calling the police. If not, she would be admitting to a crime.

Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.