Summerville, SC asked in Workers' Compensation for South Carolina

Q: I was subpeoned to appear in court on 12/6/12 at noon. I received a phone call that the time was changed to 8:30 at 9:45

On the 6th. I was unable to comply because of work issues. Also, how was I to comply at 9:45am for an 8:30am case. I am now being told that the county commissioners will put out a warrent for my arrest for not attending the hearing. Is this possible? Also, the claiment in the workers comp case asked my to lie for her and I refuse to lie. How to I convey that message to her lawyer. I do not wish to testify in a case where there will be other's testifying that have no problem not telling the truth. this case in in Summerville, Dorechester County, SC. thank you for your help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy J. Deffet
Timothy J. Deffet
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: Call the attorney who sent the subpoena and arrange to be there for next date if there is one. Please remember the Court and the attorneys are at the will of other trials and other legal cases beyond their control-never ignore a subpoena. Get in touch with the firm and see if a new date can be given or obey the subpoena. You may not know the context of your testimony-it may have nothing to do with what you think it is. Never lie- I don't think the attorney wants that all that can do is destroy his client's case so you are right on, on that note. Remember this trial may be the 1 opportunity for both sides to get justice. What if you had made a claim or were defending one? Wouldn't you want someone to be there who was relevant to the case facts?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.