Champaign, IL asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: Wiill i see jail time, and do I need a private attorney?

I stole a car stereo from walmart and when asked by polic i gave it to them and admitted to my crime. they arrested me for theft. i posted bail that night and in court the next day i was told i was being charged with a class a misdermeanor and a class 2 felony. this is my 1st offence and i cannot go to jail, as my girlfriend who i live with will not be able to afford our home alone and i make the most money in the household. i am 19 and trying to go to college. will i go to jail? what are my chances of just getting fines and probation, community service etc.? should i hire a private attorney or proceed forward with a public defender. i go back to court for a pretrial next month..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carlos H. Davalos
Carlos H. Davalos
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You have already admitted to committing the crime so that seriously hinders any possibility for a substantive defense. However, the fact that you did so and your lack of any priors bodes well for a plea that avoids jailtime. I suggest sticking with the public defender and relaying all of what you have posted here to him or her. The PD should be able to work something out with the prosecutor, presuming you are also willing to plead guilty to your charges in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.