Gilmer, TX asked in Divorce for Ohio

Q: Alimony

I divorced in 2011 in Ohio. My former spouse was awarded alimony based on my earning potentional. We had no young children living at home at time of divorce. She has always worked outside of the home. I now reside in Texas working at a job where I make a lot less than I did when we divorced. Can I file to modify the amount of support I pay her monthly and for the ten years she was awarded the support? And if so, do I file in Ohio or Texas?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Greg D. Porter
Greg D. Porter
  • Fairfield, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: To modify a spousal support (Ohio calls alimony spousal support) award in a divorce decree, there are a minimum of two threshold requirements: 1) the decree or separation agreement must specifically have made mention that the court would have continuing jurisdiction over the spousal support or the power to modify it, and 2) that the circumstances of either party have changed to justify a modification of the award. A change in wages or salary is considered a change in circumstances. However, the Ohio Supreme Court has held that the change must be a "substantial" change.

What this means: You need to look at your separation agreement/decree to see if mentions anything about the Court having continuing jurisdiction over the spousal support. If so, you need to contact an Ohio attorney to evaluate whether or not the change in income rises to the level of being a significant enough change to justify modifying the spousal support award.

If you meet the above requirements, you would file in Ohio.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.