Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Ohio Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Insurance Defense for Ohio on
Q: On pay stub it ha F-LCBF mean
Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 18, 2019

It sounds like something your employer put in manually. It is not a standard abbreviation used on paystubs. I would ask you HR department.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Ohio on
Q: I would like to know my rights and responsibilities in Ohio in case of separation or divorce.

My spouse hasn't contributed anything to my accounts in 15 years. I pay for everything, I handle all the bills, the taxes, my money goes toward renovations, trips, etc. I have a 401K, a Roth IRA and an HSA and would like to be able to keep that money. Is there a way I can do this? I know Ohio is a... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 18, 2019

All those issues are part of the discussion you must have with your attorney, and cannot be answered on-line. It depends on all the facts and details. Marital property is subject to being divided, including retirement accounts. Any agreement between the spouses during the marriage is not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Ohio on
Q: 50% non boundary property owner with my parents two house on property am I entitled to one of them

My sister currently lives in the house rent free. I purchased the 50 % that I now own. I’m in Ohio.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 18, 2019

Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney who can review all the facts and advise you of your options.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: Does a landlord have to disclose to new tenant if there is prior flooding issues, a pre-existing condition, if you may?

I have had a flooding issues twice, consecutively, and I was notified by the other landlord (not our own), that the previous renter of our unit had multiple issues with the same flooding, and the landlord did nothing about it. She ultimately moved out due to the flooding. I'm trying to find out if,... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 18, 2019

Landlord does not have to disclose prior problems. If the problems continue and landlord does not fix them promptly, a tenant can give landlord written notice, and then start paying rent into escrow with the local court. Check the court web site for the escrow process.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: need to evict non lease, squatters from my property. refuseing to pay verbaly agreed rent. selling drugs from the home.

i let this family live there because they had lost their home due to being evicted, for non payment of rent, i found out after the fact. i want to sell the home/land/mineral rights, and walk away. we have no money for a lawyer, its just me and 4 children. any advice is appreciated.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 18, 2019

Check with your local court and obtain the forms to give tenant a 3 day notice and then file for eviction. You don't need an attorney to do that if you own the property.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Ohio on
Q: My husband has moved out and he has taken all of the vehicles.

All if the vehicles are in his name. He is refusing to let me drive any. Is this legal?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 18, 2019

It isn't against the law. But if you file for divorce, then you can also file with the court asking for an order that he return a vehicle to you to use. The vehicles all are considered marital property, even if only in his name, so the court can decide how to divide them between you both during... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Ohio on
Q: Is it legal in West Jefferson Oh to leave your dog outside during freezing temperatures?

My neighbors leave their dog outside in a small fenced in area 24/7. I never see it out. There is a dog house but it doesn’t have a flap and I don’t think it has any straw. It stays out there even when temperatures drop below 30 degrees. Is this even legal? It’s heartbreaking.

Taylor P Waters
Taylor P Waters answered on Nov 18, 2019

It is not legal. R.C. § 959.131(D)(3) states that it is considered torture to "confine the companion animal without affording it. during the impoundment or confinement, with access to shelter from heat, cold, wind, rain, snow, or excessive direct sunlight if it can reasonably be expected that the... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Ohio on
Q: land is divide by six siblings one recently passed away and step godson refuse entry into the home
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 15, 2019

A godson is not a legally recognized status, so he has no legal right of entry unless appointed as executor or administrator of the deceased.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Ohio on
Q: Can you get out of a speeding ticket because of errors on the ticket?

My 16 year old son got a speeding ticket. The cop never told him how fast he was going but I saw after the fact it was 36mph over the limit. We got an attorney for court obviously, but I just noticed the time of the incident is wrong. It happened at 10:10pm. The ticket says 2:58pm. Does that error... Read more »

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams answered on Nov 15, 2019

Not really. If you were planning to try the case it might be part of a defense arguing the officer didn’t know what was going on, but it’s probably better to resolve with negotiation.

3 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Ohio on
Q: Is there a way to do a will without involving a lawyer?

He has stage 4 cancer, hospice is in, and he is no longer able to leave the house. He wants to get his will done so there is no fighting. He also owes a bit on his house but wants to transfer the home to his daughter, can this be done? Lots of questions but hope to be guided in the right direction.... Read more »

Taylor P Waters
Taylor P Waters answered on Nov 14, 2019

It sounds like quite a few moving parts, and seeking an attorney is the best way to make sure everything goes where it belongs and abides by the statutory requirements for wills.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Ohio on
Q: I was recently given a ticket for reckless driving. I have no prior incidents on my driving and no criminal record

I live in ohio, am a navy vet, and have a lawyer who will represent me in court. He has said that I do not have to show up, and that we will plead not guilty. Is this a good move and should I show up? I also have not signed a contract with him. Should I get a contract?

Patrick DiChiro
Patrick DiChiro answered on Nov 14, 2019



Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Ohio on
Q: my girlfriend is 17 and her dad is trying to put her i jail can he do that?

her mom and dad are in a custody battle and her father is upset that she doesn't want to be with him anymore so he wants to punish her by sending her to jail can he do that? without good reasoning?

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 14, 2019

If she is deemed "unruly" and fails to follow the court-ordered custody, she could go to juvenile detention.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Ohio on
Q: My mother passed away almost a year ago. She had no will and we live in the state of Ohio. I'm her only child. Does her

My stepfather is kicking me to curb and keeping everything. What can I do

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 14, 2019

Since there was no will, her spouse is entitled to $20,000 plus one-half of your mother's estate, and you are entitled to the other half. See this link: But you would have to file with the probate court to administer her estate to try to get that. If...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for Ohio on
Q: I contract for a shop an emplyr has told cusyomers that I have done nothing for months ive lost monitary gains

Im getting a statement from that person I actually lost a lot of monitary gains do to this I am a licenend shop I depend on customers for income

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 13, 2019

It's not clear what the question is here. Roughly, it looks like someone said things about you that have caused you monetary harm. If you added a couple of additional facts about the nature of what was said (without including any personal information), maybe an attorney who deals with defamation... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law for Ohio on
Q: In Ohio, our LLC has no operating agreement, how are votes figured and do you need majority or unanimous?
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 13, 2019

Until an operating agreement is made, Ohio law governs operation of an LLC. See this link:

The members should get together and establish voting and other issues in an operating agreement. If the members cannot agree unanimously on what to do, that is a...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Ohio on
Q: Is it legal in Ohio for my company to have a HIDDEN camera in the workplace employee break room?

It is Concealed, I'm the first associate to notice it.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 13, 2019

Since it is company property, and there is no expectation of privacy in public areas, the company can do that -- but not in restrooms, locker rooms, changing rooms, fitting rooms, or other private areas where people expect privacy.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: Imove into a new apt, infested with roaches, had to stay in a hotels. Should landlord reimburse me
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 13, 2019

Unfortunately, "should" is not a legal term. You can sue landlord in small claims court for the cost of the hotel. The court will determine if landlord breached the lease by not providing habitable premises and is liable to reimburse you. Try to work it out with landlord, or check the local... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Q: Landlord will not offer our apartment for lease until all vacancies are filled. Conflicting w mitigating losses?

Apt complex pressured me into renewing our lease, with scare tactics, while we were shopping for a home. Now we are under contract and they will not break the lease. They say they cannot void due to fair housing act? I thought that was more for discrimination in leasing not breaking the lease. I... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 13, 2019

They do not have to offer an early lease termination. If you leave and stop paying, and they sue, they do have an obligation to mitigate their loss, but if they have other vacant apartments, the court would decide if they have to fill yours first, or all the other vacancies before yours.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Ohio on
Q: What is the law with unmarried couples and house equity? If one partner leaves, are they entitled to 1/2 the equity?

My significant other and I bought a home. He wants out, and will not be able to afford the house. He is asking for 1/2 the equity in a buy out, to sign off on a refi to get his name of of the mortgage. i have been told there are no laws citing splitting equity in non married couples. Is this true?... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 13, 2019

There is no law for unmarried couples sharing equity, only married couples who divorce. Whoever of the unmarried couple is named on the deed -- is the owner. If the unmarried couple splits up, and there is no written contract between them directing what happens with the house and its equity, then... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.