Can I convert my chapter 7 to a chapter 13 if I cannot afford the trustee payments? Am I able to file this myself?

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Kathryn U. Tokarska

Answered 2 years ago

I think you mean convert from chapter 13 to chapter 7? Chapter 13 is the one with the payments. The answer will depend on whether you qualify for discharge under chapter 7. If you don't already have a lawyer, get one. Perhaps your chapter 13 can be salvaged and if not they can make sure you qualify for chapter 7 and handle the conversion. In California we have a specific form (found on court's website) to do this. It contains information about what forms need to be filed along with the conversion notice.