Do I have to change my name back to my maiden name if I said I wanted to in Court?

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

David Scott Heier Esq

Answered 2 years ago

The Divorce Decree grants you the right to take back your maiden name without having to go to Probate Court for a Change of Name Petition. You would need the divorce decree to go through all the red tape of IRS, Social Security, driver's license name changes. Skipping that and retaining your married name is fine.