Danville, CA asked in Bankruptcy for California

Q: Need to file Chptr 7 but hard pressed to pay court filing fees and attorney fees. Pro Bono services avail?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn U. Tokarska
Kathryn U. Tokarska
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This depends on your local jurisdiction. For example, San Diego county does not provide bankruptcy representation in their pro-bono clinics or through legal aid servicing indigents. This somewhat makes sense only from the perspective that state and county resources are limited and choices must be made to assist the most urgent matters like helping people with domestic violence situations, child support, and of course criminal defense since liberty is at stake. If you have no property and/or no income then you are considered judgment proof, nothing to protect by filing bankruptcy. Having said that many attorneys will discount their fees for the most dire cases. The only other choice is something called bankruptcy petition preparer. These folks just help you fill out the forms so you can file your own case and cannot provide you with legal advice. As a bankruptcy attorney, knowing how complex the cases can get and mistakes people can make without legal representation I can't honestly recommend that route.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.