Oklahoma City, OK asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Custody Question.

I am a 15 year old girl. my mother is 34 and doesnt like me seeing my 39 year old father. He is on the roll and gets benefits, and that can help me wih college. but they were never married and his name isnt on my bith cirtificate. i want my dad to be a part of my life but he had one child taken away from him 6 or 7 years ago for drugs. my dad was a part of my life for a little while till my mom made him mad and he left. we live in oklahoma only he lives an hour away and i have seen him 3 times in the last 5 or 6 years. i dont know what it would cost for a paternity test, and how things will happen. will he have to pay 15 years of back child support? will he get custody rights? will he lose all rights? can you help me find out information. so i can make the right chose in asking my parents?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy J. Pickens
Timothy J. Pickens
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: A paternity test is not very expensive. A Paternity Decree would cost much more (approx. $1500 or higher). But the reward would be priceless!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.