Oklahoma Questions & Answers

Q: If on probation for DUI, & a person gets charged with domestic violence and abuse. What will happen to the person?

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and DUI / DWI for Oklahoma on
Answered on Sep 21, 2016

You can have your probation revoked for committing another crime while on probation. Jail time is a likelihood.
View Details »

Q: can officers get a search warrant by going through my trash?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Sep 18, 2016

If your trash is at the curb, you have abandoned it for pickup, so yes. If it is still in your kitchen, then no.
View Details »

Q: If i got domestic violence charge 9 years ago and i just another one yesterday is it a felony

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Oklahoma on
Answered on Sep 1, 2016

In Oklahoma, the answer depends on what happened with the prior charge as well as what the current allegations are in your new case.

If the previous case resulted in a conviction (time to serve or a suspended sentence), then the current allegation can be charged as a felony.

If a deferred sentence was completed on the previous case (resulting in no conviction) then an argument can be made that the new offense should be properly filed as a misdemeanor. If this is your...
View Details »

Q: Mentally ill father had someone file a false lien on his home. The attorney is disbarred. What can my family do?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Probate and Legal Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 30, 2016

Usually you would file an action to quiet title. Suggest you start with contacting a member of the Ok.Trial Lawyers Assn who handles legal malpractice.They give free consultations.
View Details »

Q: My child in under temporary guardianship with a family member. I still have custody of him how can I get guardianship?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 28, 2016

If you have custody why was there a guardianship commenced unless there are allegations against you? In order to terminate a guardianship in Oklahoma, you must file a motion to terminate it setting out why the guardianship is no longer needed and showing that the reason the guardianship was granted in the first place that all issues causing the Court to find that a guardianship was needed have been resolved making a guardianship unneeded.
View Details »

Q: Does a PO over turn a visitation order?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 28, 2016

No. A protective order does not amend a valid custody order, If a child is included on the protective order and the Judge grants the child a protective order against the other parent, you should seek and attorney to review your custody order and possibly file a motion to modify that custody order.
View Details »

Q: Is it illegal for a live in girlfriend to spank a 3 yr old when not given consent from the mother?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 28, 2016

It is not against any statutory provision in Oklahoma for a live in girlfriend to spank a child absent consent. If the spankings are physically harmful to the child and there are marks showing these spankings, you should take pictures and have a professional examine the marks and get them on record. Contact your ex spouse and speak to him/her about this issue to see if you two can work out a non physical punishment if and when one is needed. Document the marks yourself if you ever must take the...
View Details »

Q: Live in Cleveland County, married in Oklahoma County, lived in Oklahoma County in the past, do I file in Cleveland or OK

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 28, 2016

If your speaking about filing for a dissolution of your marriage the proper County to file in is the County in which you have resided for the last thirty days prior to the date you file your petition. You must be a resident of the State of Oklahoma for six months and the County in which you file your petition for at least thirty days prior to the filing of that petition.
View Details »

Q: I fell victim to a dirty cop planting evidence while serving a search warrant at my boyfriends apartment, the cop was

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 28, 2016

From your facts it appears your ex had a hearing on his emergency custody petition and then full custody at a motion to modify hearing. I would think there was more testimony than just this bogus arrest that was had in Court in order for the Judge to modify the original custody order. The answer to your question is no they don't revert back to the old order merely on evidence coming to light showing it was bogus. You must hire an attorney to file a motion to modify that last order giving your...
View Details »

Q: my son hit a cow on the road is the owner libel?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Car Accidents for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 25, 2016

Owner of the cow should be liable. Ask for his insurance information. If son hurt, contact a member of the Ok. Assn for Justice--they give free consultations.
View Details »

Q: I make $51,000 a year. Can I still file chapter 7 since I am over the median income?

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 24, 2016

It is possible to qualify for a Chapter 7 even if you are above the median income. There is an additional portion of the Chapter 7 Means Test for debtors who are above median income that takes into consideration deductions for certain allowable living expenses, taxes, secured payments on certain debts and Court ordered payments like child support. You should meet with an experienced bankruptcy attorney who files both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer cases for a free initial consultation....
View Details »

Q: Hello men, my father an I are having an argument regarding the minor consumption of alcohol in private areas in Oklahoma

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 21, 2016

Wouldn't argue with them--under Oklahoma law they have to supervise any drinking you do. And what you drink has to be 3.2 or lower, and you can't have a significant blood alcohol level. https://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/APIS_State_Profile.html?state=OK
View Details »

Q: Needing information on why part of a cash settlement was locked away due to the receiver being a minor.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Child Support for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 16, 2016

Sory, but thats the way courts are thrughout the US. for good reason. This way he'll have something to start education with after HS
View Details »

Q: What is the time limit and rules in Oklahoma for filing a second page (after former) on a new charge ...same crime.etc

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 16, 2016

Your generic question is too broad to answer without going on for several pages. When it comes to sentence enhancements (after formers), there are different rules that apply depending on what prior convictions or deferred adjudications exist for a charged individual and with what an individual is currently charged. Domestic Abuse, Protective Order Violations, DUIs, Drug Charges, Sex Offenses, Child Abuse, and General Felonies are all treated differently.

Your example of a manslaughter...
View Details »

Q: My husband's nephew/family was going to lose their home so we stepped in and paid off the loan. It's in our name.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for Oklahoma on
Answered on Aug 15, 2016

There are farm policies. You need to set boundaries on what they can do, have to do.
View Details »

Q: If an EOD was put on patient but days later told the intake form was falsified. They admitted at patient should of not

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice for Oklahoma on
Answered on Jul 30, 2016

Possible, but hospital has a right to rely on what they are told. Contact a member of the Ok. Trial Lawyers Assn--they give free consultations.
View Details »

Q: Is post prison supervision something every offender has to do when released from prison?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Jul 22, 2016

All persons convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for state felonies in Oklahoma after November 1, 2012, are subject to nine (9) to twelve (12) months post-imprisonment supervision under the rules and conditions prescribed by the Oklahoma Department of Corrections. See: http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=466225
View Details »

Q: How do u find out if i have a trust fund that was set up for me when i 3 due to a car accident.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Oklahoma on
Answered on Jul 18, 2016

Go to the courthouse.Look up any lawsuits under your name, your mom/dad/caretaker relatives name. Contact the attorney representing you at the time. Ask them. Also look to see if there was a "petition to authorize minor's compromise" or similar.

Look at that--that would list a bank. Last, do a google search under "unclaimed funds" and your name & state.
View Details »

Q: I changed my child's last name and had the court records sealed. What is the downside? How do I reverse this?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Answered on Jul 8, 2016

Downsides may be depending on state, how birth records are kept, if they need a copy of the birth certificate etc, may be a problem for them. Seems to me they should be allowed to make that choice as an adult. You ask the court to reopen and have good reasons why you are flip-flopping. If you didn't have a lawyer when you did this first time consider getting one. If you did, why not talk to that lawyer.?
View Details »

Q: My insurance company offered me $25k for totaled car, when my car has NADA clean retail value of $30k. What should I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Car Accidents for Oklahoma on
Answered on Jun 29, 2016

Lawyers give free consultations. If it did that much damage you may have an injury but just want to say "Oh, my shoulder, that 's nothing..." then months later you get a rotator cuff. So contact a member of the OK Trial Lawyers Assn --they give free consults. Look at your policy--do you have more than 25k in coverage? Sounds to me if OK law is what you said, you should get more.
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.