Gastonia, NC asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for North Carolina

Q: What is the procedure to file an appeal on the judge of a family court case...

• Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Cary, NC
  • Licenced in North Carolina

A: You do not appeal a "judge." You appeal the judge's ruling if you disagree with it and if you have reason to appeal, i.e., if the judge did something incorrectly that warrants a new trial. Just because you disagree with the court's ruling does not mean that the judge acted erroneously. Appeals are very very expensive, time consuming and seldom result in a new trial.

If I were you, I would talk it over with your family law attorney. If you do not have one, then I would talk it over with a family law attorney and pay for the consult and for the attorney to review your case and see if you have any appealable issues.

For procedure, you have 30 days to file your notice of appeal with the trial court. The 30 days begins to run from the date the court's final order/decision is...

Justia Legal Answers is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Legal Answers is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Legal Answers without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.