What will happen if someone does not show for small claims court over a debt of less than $ 550.00

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Rachel Lea Hunter

Answered 2 years ago

If the person suing for the debt does not show the case will be dismissed. If the debtor does not show, then a default judgment will be entered against the debtor.

If you are the debtor and you have any defenses or counterclaims, then you have to show up and argue your story to the judge - otherwise, if you don't show up then the judge will only hear the plaintiff's side of the story and the plaintiff, assuming that a case has been made out, will get everything he/she/it is asking for.