My child was stopped for shoplifting, a police report was filed, and she may receive a summons to family court.

More details:

She was released to her parents. Is this an "arrest"? Is this a criminal record and does she have to show it on job applications or college form? Should we get an attorney for the family court appearance?

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Amanda Lingold Spencer

Answered 2 years ago

All youth court records and proceedings are sealed in the State of Mississippi. Assuming your child was placed in a juvenile detention center and not an adult detention center, this arrest is not a public record and would therefore not need to be shown on job applications or college applications. You have the right to hire an attorney to represent your child, if you desire. If you do make sure you speak with someone who is familiar with youth court.