South Gate, CA asked in Child Support for California

Q: Do I have to pay child support? Is there any way I can avoid this?

My ex got pregnant and she doesn't want to have an abortion? Im an 18yr old full time college student trying to get into the FBI. My ex wants to have the baby but she wants me to be with her and raise it or my other option is to give away my rights? I don't want to make any haste decisions so I want to know any more options to avoid child support because I do not have a job or have had one; and im not planning on getting a job till im 19 or 20? please help ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Mountain View, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: California law provides that parents have an obligation to financially support their children, and cannot avoid their obligation by giving away their parental rights. The court bases the amount of child support to be paid on a formula set forth in the California Family Code, referred to as the "Guidelines". Income and the amount of time you spend with your child, or "timeshare", may be significant factors in determining the amount of child support you may have to pay. Accordingly, aside from your income, you should consider how you can help to parent your child. Not only would it benefit your child, but it would also reduce the child support that you may be ordered to pay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.