Defiance, OH asked in Divorce for Ohio

Q: In 2009, I was granted a divorce. The Court s Judgment Entry included a separation agreement. It ordered each party to

Execute and deliver all titles, documents, papers and other materials necessary to effectuate the terms of the separation agreement. My wife & I were joint owners of a mobile home. The mobile home was in my ex-wifes name and she never signed over the title. I paid the mortgage and now my wife filed a motion for contempt. I am behind in the mortgage..only by two months. My ex claims she could not transfer the title because I have not paid the taxs..I have paid the taxs, but she claims that I have to pay not only one years tax, but also the next years tax in advance before she can transfer the title. I have tried to re-finance the mobile home through the lone company but they refuse to talk to me because it is still in my ex-wifes name. I can not afford a lawyer..the court did, in 2009, order my wife to transfer the title over to me, that in the separation agreement, it states: "The WIFE shall sign the title over to HUSBAND.." How am I in contempt? Can you give me advice and law in this?<br/>


<em>Content added on April 6th, 2013 at 5:39 AM</em>


The Judge gave me one month..I need the statutes and how can she file contempt when she never signed over title. If I am two months behind in mortgage payments..then she should have no standing as she was suppose to sign over everything regarding the mobile home to me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Scott Heier Esq
David Scott Heier Esq
  • Canandaigua, NY
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It's possible that you both are in contempt. You for being behind in payments and her for not signing over the title. One is not necessarily a defense to the other. File your own contempt against her if you think she is in violation of the order too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.