If a couple divorces with no kids does the husband have to furnish the lifestyle accustomed for the wife? Married 24 yrs

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Shawn H. Smith

Answered 2 years ago

It sounds like you are asking about spousal maintenance, otherwise known as alimony. In Texas, with the length of marriage being 24 years, you could be ordered by a judge to pay 20% of your monthly gross income up to $5000 for up to 7 years. This is not like the child support statute, in that the judge here has a large amount of discretion within the statute to decide how much to award and for how long. You need to contact a qualified family law attorney I order to assure that the settlement is fair and doesn't go above your ability to pay. Good luck.