Villa Park, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: Can we change my daughters last name to her my boyfriends last name if she has my (the mothers) last name.

My daughter is 15. She has not seen her father in a couple years, her choice. He is 20,000 dollars behind in child support. she wants to change her name to my boyfriends last name. She says that he has been there for her since she was 1 and has been more of a father then her own. Can we change her name in this situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elfreda Dockery
Elfreda Dockery
  • Homewood, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: does your boyfriend plan to adopt your daughter? or are you talking about just changing the name? either way, you will have to file a petition in court. the court will decide whether to allow the adoption for if an adoption petition or decide to allow the name change for the name change petition. either way, the father will have to be notified.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.