Sebastopol, CA asked in Elder Law for California

Q: How do you get a power of attorney if a person has Alzheimer's

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cary, NC

A: You don't depending on how advanced the Alzheimer's is. If someone is diagnosed early and has a lucid day, then perhaps an attorney in your state will draft a poa for the person. The attorney will have to interview the person and make sure that he or she is capable of understanding the documents. It also depends on who you are. Its one thing if the spouse or an only child wants a poa. Its another if the gardener or some relative stranger wants it.

If the Alzheimer's is severe, then I would suggest that you consult an elder law attorney in the state where the disabled person lives and see about a guardianship/conservatorship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.