Hillsboro, OR asked in Criminal Law for Oregon

Q: If I am victim(witness) in a domestic violence case in Washington county Oregon. I no longer live in the same place.

Am I served with subpoena if I talk to someone From DA's office over phone and my identity is not asked for but the phone line is on my name. Also I don't want to give my new address to them, is it ok to do so.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sunil K Raju
Sunil K Raju
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: For you to be "served" with a subpoena means that somebody, usually a Sheriff's Deputy, must actually serve you with a subpoena. If you get the subpoena in some other way--say, you get it mailed to you, or you talk to somebody on the phone--is NOT a way of getting "served" if you are a witness in a criminal case.

***This is NOT legal advice, but a general answer. Consult an attorney for legal advice tailored to your situation***

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.