Tarrant, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: Do I have to fill out a Child Support Office Record if there is already a final order on child support and custody?

I have filed a prose divorce with children but have realized that I could have filed a divorce without children sense there is already a final order for custody and support and at the time I filed my child was 17 and has since turned 18.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If the child is 18 then you will not need to file a divorce with children. You could amend the original petition to reflect this. Issues like this are easily avoided when you speak to an attorney first, so it may be a good idea to consult with one to make sure you are not missing anything else before the divorce is final. Good Luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.