Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: My brother was arrested 30 days ago on a felony for family assult. How long does it take to go to court?

My brother was arrested 30 days ago and is still currently in jail. He has a felony charge for family assult. This is his second arrest in a year for this charge. The last charge was dismissed due to a lack of evidence. I cannot get a hold of his court appointed lawyer to get any answers. How long does this process take? I cannot afford his bail money.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: That is really going to depend on what county he was arrested in. Some counties will give him a pre-indictment court date fairly quickly, while others will take a bit longer to get their act together. His lawyer should be able to facilitate him getting into court. If you are not satisfied with the court appointed lawyer, you may want to look into hiring one yourself, you will probably get a better response that way, and things may move a bit faster. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.