Tampa, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: My son is 15 mnth old and has lived with me since birthnow the father wants him 2 weeks out of the month. can i stop it

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Deltona, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: In order to give you advice on what should be done, we need to know more facts. Assuming that the baby is breast feeding, he should be near you at all times. If the baby is not breast feeding, perhaps he can spend time with his father, but it would depend upon many factors. There are two schools of thought about children born to unwed parents. One is that the father has absolutely no rights in the child unless he gets to court and has those rights established. The other is that since we know who the father is, shared parental responsibility should be automatic. Consult with an attorney.

  • Clearwater, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The father is entitled to enforce his parental rights. You should hire a lawyer to sort these things out. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.