Chula Vista, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for California

Q: What are the chances of getting an conviction reversed on appeal after already serving time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Alan Provis
Timothy Alan Provis
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Port Washington, WI
  • Licensed in California

A: If neither you nor your lawyer filed a timely notice of appeal (in a felony case in California it must be filed 60 days after sentencing)then you lost your right to appeal. There might be facts in your case which would justify resurrecting your right to appeal, but only an experienced appeals attorney can tell you if theer are such facts in your case. In any case, however, if you are not still on probation or parole, that is to say, you have fulfilled all the terms of the judgment against you, then there could be no appeal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.