San Angelo, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: How do I go about getting my record expunged?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawn H. Smith
Shawn H. Smith
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In Texas you qualify for an expunction in a few different cases. If you receive deferred adjudication for a class C misdemeanor and complete it successfully, you should qualify. If you were charged with a higher offense, but subsequently had the charge dismissed or were acquitted, then in most circumstances you would also qualify. In order to see if your particular offense can be expunged, contact a local criminal defense attorney. Most of us give free consultations and can tell you right away if you qualify. From there, your attorney will draft the paperwork and file it for you with the court and the D.A. There is a charge for each offense you want expunged that will need to be paid to the court clerk, so be prepared. It differs slightly from county to county so check with your attorney beforehand to make sure that you know what to you will need to pay. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.