Atlanta, GA asked in Small Claims for Georgia

Q: I paid for a trip to Jamaica. Person invited agreed to come and did not show up. Can I sue them?

• Cary, NC
  • Licenced in Georgia

A: For what? Was there an agreement that the invited person would pay for half the trip? Did they put down any kind of deposit to show this if there was no written agreement? Unless you can show some duty to pay then I don't see that you are entitled to recover anything but then I don't have all of the facts.

Does the other person live in GA? If not, then I would not sue them in GA but where they live. If they are in GA then sue them in the county where they live.

GA small claims is up to $12,000 (I assume that your claim is well below that). Here is a link to the forms:

Before you sue, you might try asking for reimbursement in a written letter, either sent by you or an attorney. Send via certified mail...

Justia Legal Answers is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Legal Answers is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Legal Answers without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.