Lakeland, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: My daughter came home from a weekend with her dad saying she witnessed disturbing things. She is 2. I'm worried. Advice?

She witnessed her father harm me. I have a restraining order and full Custody, but he gets her every other weekend court ordered. I'm afraid he is letting her see things that are extremely inappropriate and I'm worried for her safety. What should I do?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Robert Jason De Groot

  • Deltona, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Keep a log of things that have supposedly happened. Eventually you may need to ask that a guardian ad litem be appointed to represent the best interests of your child. You need more than what the child says to do anything, independent proof is required. We try to do this through the guardian, but many times you will need other proof, depending upon what is alleged.

John Arthur Smitten

  • Clearwater, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You are going to need corroboration of what the child saw so perhaps have the child talk to a counselor or specialist.

Howard Iken

  • New Port Richey, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If this is really a safety issue you should call the abuse hotline. A child protective investigator will visit within 24 hours. 1800-96-abuse

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.