Salt Lake City, UT asked in Securities Law for Utah

Q: How to force majority shareholder to buy out minor shareholder

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zaven Andranik Sargsian
Zaven Andranik Sargsian
  • Securities Law Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: The answer to this question will depend on many factors, including the type and substance of any corporate documents, as well as the nature of the corporation and whether the corporation is closely held (i.e. has few shareholders, among other criteria as defined by state law). According to Utah law, for example, it may be as simple as reviewing the corporate documents to find some buyout remedy available to the minority shareholder. Other times, when the corporate documents don't anticipate the issue (which is usually the case), a Utah attorney would need to look at Utah's corporate law to determine if you have any recourse.

You should contact a Utah attorney if you have any further questions.

Please note that the above is legal information and not legal advice, which is the application of law to an individual’s specific circumstances. The information does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.