Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Securities Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Probate and Securities Law for Utah on
Q: What are my chances to force a publicly traded company to lift the restrictions on stock in the court I have inherited

I am about to inherit restricted stocks from my father who was an insider in the company. I dont know what the restrictions are exactly yet, but whatever they are, can I and how likely can I succeed to force the company to lift those restrictions in the court?

Do they need to have... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Feb 3, 2021


That questions is difficult to answer. If your Dad died while working at the company, perhaps the stock will come restriction free. Usually restrictions are in place to prevent insider trading, so if there is no chance at insider trading anymore, they may lift them. Other...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Utah on
Q: May a section 501(c)3 foundation file a lien on the real property of a person who allegedly defrauded foundation

A Registered Investment Advisor under the SEC is alledged to have defrauded our 501(c)3 foundation of $250k. We want to file a lien on this person's residential real property in Utah. Our foundation is located in California.

Zaven Andranik Sargsian
Zaven Andranik Sargsian answered on Dec 6, 2013

Firstly, there is palpable complexity to the question you are asking. It involves securities laws, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, Utah property law, liens, and jurisdictional issues. I would strongly encourage you to contact a Utah attorney to assist you with this matter.

To begin with, there...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Utah on
Q: How to force majority shareholder to buy out minor shareholder
Zaven Andranik Sargsian
Zaven Andranik Sargsian answered on Dec 6, 2013

The answer to this question will depend on many factors, including the type and substance of any corporate documents, as well as the nature of the corporation and whether the corporation is closely held (i.e. has few shareholders, among other criteria as defined by state law). According to Utah... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.