Spring, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: If i cant pay restitution at the end of probation what happen

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip Wayne Goff
Phillip Wayne Goff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Corpus Christi, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This question involves several possibilities. If no motion to revoke is filed against you, and probation expires, probation is finished. If a motion to revoke is filed, you'll be re-arrested and have an opportunity to go before a judge (hopefully, you'll have a good lawyer) for a hearing. The purposes of that hearing are to determine whether you have violated your conditions and what should be done with you, if you have violated. Your lawyer will have an opportunity to present evidence about your financial condition, among other things. If the judge finds you violated, he/she determines what is just in your case, and that might mean releasing you as having unsatisfactorily completing your term of probation, extending or modifying your probation term or conditions, or sentencing you to incarceration. The possibilities can be quite extensive and are specific to the situation of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.