Cumberland, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: My brother wants to let his son live with me.I will need to enroll him in school. What steps do I need to take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. J. Edgie Russell
Mr. J. Edgie Russell
  • Frederick, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You should contact the local school system in your individual county to see what they will want to enroll him in school. Each County is a little different but you may have to go so far as to obtain a custody order. Regardless of what the schools want however, you should get a Power of Attorney authorizing you to obtain medical treatment for your nephew. I also recommend at least some sort of a custody agreement spelling out your rights and obligations. Finally, you mention your brother, but not the mother. You will need to involve her in this process as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.