Midvale, UT asked in Child Support for Utah

Q: My son's father has not seen him in over 3 years how do I go about terminating his rights

My son's father has not seen him in over 3 years, he has criminal and federal charges on his account he has never paid child support and would not sign the birth certificate. But we did get a paternity test for the ORS but whenever they contact him about child support he quits his job.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cory Hundley
Cory Hundley
  • South Jordan, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: There are two basic options in terminating parental rights. First, you could try for a voluntary termination of his parental rights and he can sign away his parental rights. This is the fastest, easiest, and simplest way to terminate parental rights. The other way is involuntary termination of parental rights. If you are interested in this, you need to show that he has either abandoned the child, abused or neglected the child, and a few other options. From what you have said, it sounds like you have a good case to show abandonment. Of course, I would recommend consulting with an attorney if you want to seriously pursue involuntary termination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.