Cypress, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: My 71 yr old mother has been manipulated by an individual who involved her in check fraud. He has helped her all the way

To jail, even hired an attorney for her. What to do now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Phillip Wayne Goff
Phillip Wayne Goff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Corpus Christi, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It appears the criminal law question is already being addressed, although having a co-defendant hire her lawyer sounds awful. Your mother may need to be protected from her own inability to discern the manipulation. You may need to present this question to the guardianship law forum; if your mother has trouble taking care of herself and is otherwise incapable of defending herself or managing her affairs, she might need to have a court appoint you or someone else to protect her from her own incapacity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.