Pasco, WA asked in Divorce for Washington

Q: Can I get divorced if my husband is in Mexico and can't come here and me and my kids just moved back to wa state ?

We have been living in Mexico for the last 3 years and just moved back to wa state due to domestic violence with my husband . My husband was deported and cannot enter the u.s. And will not sign the papers. Can I get divorced? Also we've been back for 2 months, will the court here accept my case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Spencer Richard McMullen
Spencer Richard McMullen
  • Chapala, Jalisco

A: The court will most likely accept your case if you meet the residency time limits for your state. As far as serving the other party in Mexico, treaties between the U.S. and individual countries or international agreements such as the “Hague Convention on Service Abroad” and the “Inter-American Service Convention” will govern service of process, it can be tricky and cost a bit more than simple service in the US, not doing it properly could give the other party rise to attack a judgment at a later date if he did not respond.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.