Ogden, UT asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: Can a parent restrict visitation if I am 1 week late on my half of a medical bill? current on all others

I live in NC. My kids live in Utah with mother. I am current on my child support and all other bills I am responsible for. I purchased an airline ticket for my daughter to come here for Christmas. Because I cannot pay a medical bill until Friday, my ex spouse wants to forbid my daughter from traveling. can she do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cory Hundley
Cory Hundley
  • South Jordan, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Generally, payment of support, whether monthly child support or for medical care, and visitation rights are separate rights that do not affect each other. If the terms of your custody order grant you visitation or custody over Christmas, then the mother has an obligation to permit travel consistent with the terms of the order regardless of the medical bill. I would recommend having an attorney review the terms of the custody order to help you understand exactly what your rights are.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.