Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Family Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on
Q: I'm an unmarried father in Utah of 3 boys. Have lived as a family since the begining to present. Can I get 50/50 custod

Ages 7, 5 and 3. I am on birth certificates. Really have been living as a normal family with mother for 7 years till present. Just have never been married. Our neighbors are even shocked at times to hear we were never legitimately married. We're ending on good terms for the most part but the one... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Oct 1, 2019

You will likely be hard-pressed to find an attorney willing to give you your chances. I will tell you that the request, based on the extremely limited amount of information in this Ask-a-Lawyer post, is reasonable. If you are willing to actually be responsible for taking care of the children 50% of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on
Q: ok I live in the state Az and I already have court orders here but just had to go to SLC Utah because

well I have been trying to enforce any parenting time I was given but the father has sent my daughter out of state to Utah with his mother at first and she was only suppose to stay out there to visit with grandma because she has cancer and wants to spend time with her , anyways the dad is here in... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Sep 11, 2019

If you have a custody agreement in Arizona, you need to file for a modification. If the father has primary custody and is homeless, it will be difficult for him to argue the child would be safe in his care. You could also file a complaint with child protective services when you file your petition... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Utah on
Q: so I am just wondering if I should get a laywer for my daughter my only thing is I dont have the money for one well

not a down payment my daughter is 11 years old and is getting charged with a felony and a class b misdominer her and a friend went to walmart and on the way in found a credit card went in used the credit card for like 15 .00 than tryed to pull money out at the ATM witch mind you did not work at the... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Aug 7, 2019

Your daughter is entitled to a court-appointed attorney. I am not sure a privately-retained attorney would have much advantage over the public defender in this case.

Hopefully your daughter can get some assistance coping with the losses she has sustained in her young life.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on
Q: While separated with a child, do the 2 parties involved must keep each other informed of an address change?
Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Aug 5, 2019

Unless there are accusations of domestic violence, it is always a good idea - during separation, while the divorce is pending, and after the divorce is finalized - to keep the other parent informed of any change in address or phone number. Your marriage may be ending, but you are stuck with your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on
Q: Can I subpoena my spouses phone records to prove infidelity and criminal activity so that she could manipulate DV laws?

I dont want to take property or personal belongings from her. I just want to prove that i was not doing anything to make her do those things. I want to protect my finacial sources and truck while im getting divorced. Also i dont know if that would help with possible resopsibilities i might be have... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jul 16, 2019

Most divorces settle prior to trial. You should have your attorney request the records in discovery. They could be useful in negotiations. Unless you can prove she used marital assets to support her infidelity (gifts, travel expenses, money spent on hotels), you will likely not be able to alter... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Utah on
Q: Can I get 50/50 custody or any legal rights of my non biological son?

I got with my ex when she was pregnant, found out she cheated on me at least twice since he was born. I left two months before his third birthday in April 2017, had him every other weekend until October 2018 when I offered to pay half his daycare to get 50/50 custody and have had him every other... Read more »

Brian Craig
Brian Craig answered on Jul 5, 2019

A person other than a biological parent, such as a grandparent or a step-parent, may petition the court for custody and visitation of a child in Utah. But there must be special circumstances for the court to award custody and visitation to a person who is not a parent.

Utah Code Ann. sec....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Utah on
Q: I have to go to court for temporary relief?? Not sure what for or what to expect?
Jaclyn Jane Robertson
Jaclyn Jane Robertson answered on Jun 28, 2019

Hi. Happy to help, but first need a little more information. I'm assuming this is for a pending divorce action. If so, you should have received a Motion for Temporary Relief as well as other supporting documents. That Motion will outline the relief being sought.

We have a video that...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on
Q: I agreed to let my exhusband take our 15 year old to Spain and he got her a tattoo while there. Can anything be done?

We have joint custody but they have lived with me full time for over a year.

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jun 27, 2019

Yes, but . . .

Operating under the assumption that you have joint legal as well as physical custody, it was inappropriate for your ex-husband to allow your minor child to be tattooed without your knowledge or consent. A couple of questions come to mind. 1) What is the battle worth to you?...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah on
Q: What can I do?

My oldest son lives with his father. His father has sole custody (I have sole custody of our other child). My son was abused by his stepmother. DCFS is involved. Justice court is involved. I was not given information about the trial nor was I informed that the prosecutor had been changed. I thought... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jun 20, 2019

Regardless of what was SUPPOSED to have happened, you should take an active interest in this case if you are willing to take custody of your oldest son. If you are NOT willing to take custody and just have hurt feelings because you were not notified, I believe you are out of luck. Hopefully you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah on
Q: I have recently found out my son's dad is never home with his son and his dad girlfriend has been taking care of my son

Since his dad is failing on taking care of him can I pick up my son to live with me no custody has been established

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on May 24, 2019

It sounds like you have some type of informal, verbal agreement for custody. You would be ill-advised to just "pick up your son to live with you" regardless of a formal custody agreement.

The first step, in my opinion, would be to have a conversation with the child's father, express your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah on
Q: Can I record mine and my step-child's in person conversations?

The childs father and I are trying for full custody, as we believe the child is being neglected, emotionally and physically. I am currently taking pictures of what I can and writing down everything he says it's happening there. He's not getting fed, and he's rarely in clean clothes. He usually... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Apr 18, 2019

Utah law only requires one party to the conversation be aware a recording is being made, so, yes, you may legally record the conversations with or without his knowledge. As far as helping your case, requesting the appointment of a guardian ad litem would probably be more advantageous than your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Utah on
Q: Joint custody and child abused in other home... do we have to take her back there?

My husband has joint custody of his daughter. We recently found out that she is being mentally, Physically, and sexually abused in her mothers home. We have already filed a case with child protective services but we fear her mother will retaliate against her if she goes back home. Can we keep her... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Apr 18, 2019

You would need to file a petition in Juvenile Court. See for the form or seek advice from a licensed attorney who practices in the Fifth District (Washington and Iron Counties).

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Utah on
Q: I became pregnant through sexual assault, can I have the fathers parental rights terminated? Where do I terminate?

The assault was in in Kansas, to my knowledge the father is in Montana and I live in alberta. I would like to adobt out to my sister in Utah.

Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes answered on Apr 2, 2019

What you are asking is highly complex and the correct answer is fact dependent. Please have your sister contact our office so we can discuss the same. Phone #801-546-3874.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Utah on
Q: My son is planning on moving out of his mother's house for conflict reasons. Do I have still have to pay child support?

He is 18 and dropped out of high school and is moving out due to conflict with his mom and her husband.

Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Feb 21, 2019

Whether you continue to pay or not depends on your court orders. You should immediately get the matter before the Court for an order changing your child support obligation, whether that is paying your son the child support directly (and the mother also paying her obligation directly to your son)... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah on
Q: Can my ex take our son out of state if we have joint legal custody / sole physical
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Feb 1, 2019

this is not really my area of law here, so I would encourage you to seek more advice, but to my understanding, if the ex has sole physical custody, then they can decide where to live independent of your preferences. You still have a say in medical decisions and other areas, but they have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Utah on
Q: I have raised my nephew as my son, my sister has been collecting child support for him do i have a right to sue her?

he has been with me since he was 2 1/2 ( all verbal agreement)

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Feb 1, 2019

If you are doing it voluntarily, then no you don't have a right to sue her. She is supposed to be using the funds she is collecting to take care of her son. If she isn't, then the son has a claim or the father has a claim against her. If you are the guardian of the son then you might as well.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Utah on
Q: I need to get a separation and don’t know where to start? Worried about income differences?

My husband has anger issues, pornographery issues w/cross dressing. Is it possible for me to file for a legal separation and somehow demand that he complete therapy before having overnight visits with our kids? Also, since I make more money, do I have to pay him?

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 24, 2018

Generally speaking, those who choose legal separation instead of divorce is usually based on religious beliefs, a desire to keep the family together legally for the sake of children, or the need for one spouse to keep the health insurance benefits that would be lost with a divorce.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Utah on
Q: How do i go about collecting for back child support? He is currently 5 months behind and we both live in Utah
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Jun 11, 2018

The least expensive way is to contact the Utah Office of Recovery Services (ORS) and ask them to collect for you. However, this takes several months. If you are in a hurry and have the means, you can hire a private attorney to enforce the existing child support order, obtain and judgment and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah on
Q: Does my ex have the right to refuse me taking my kids overnight just because he wants to meet my boyfriend?

My ex says "I'm not having my girls over there (my place) until I meet him and talk to him for 2 minutes." And he also doesn't want me around while he does this.

Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Jun 8, 2018

It depends on the terms of the court orders. Generally, the other parent cannot control who the other fparent allows to be around the children. However, if there are no court orders, whoever has the children has custody and you are stuck with what your boyfriend may agree to until you get court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah on
Q: When my girlfriend turns 18 and i marry her, can she legally move in with me even if she has some "disabilities"?
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on May 31, 2018

It depends on your girlfriend's level of "disabilities" and whether or not someone else has guardianship of her. Otherwise, generally speaking, without any other information regarding your situation, there is nothing stopping your girlfriend from moving in with you when she turns 18. Working with... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.