Lexington, KY asked in Divorce for Kentucky

Q: If a party has a final divorce hearing, but the decree isn't signed and filed until a month later, when was it final?

Hearing was end of May, 2003. Got remarried June, 2003. Signed divorce decree received a month later. Is the new marriage valid? or can it be annulled?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard J. Head
Richard J. Head
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Go back to the court that entered the decree, and ask to have the divorce decree set aside. A cheaper and easier fix would be to get married again, assuming you are still with the same spouse. A remarriage while married doesn't change your status. The divorce decree did, so you are currently not married.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.