Kentucky Questions & Answers by Practice Area

Kentucky Questions & Answers

Q: Can the father of my daughter get full custody because I don't have a job or house because I just moved.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Kentucky on
Answered on Jul 24, 2017

The ability to provide for your child is a very relevant factor the court will consider. However, those two facts alone are likely insufficient to justify awarding sole custody. The reasons why you do not have a home or job are much more important than the temporary fact that you may have neither. You should consult a local attorney in the county where your case is pending or where it will be filed so you can discuss all the facts of your situation.
View Details »

Q: Worker's comp is denying further treatment and nothing has been solved. What do we do?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Kentucky on
Answered on Jul 21, 2017

Unfortunately, the worker's compensation system in most States limits care and is set up in the manner to save money rather than to provide reasonable and necessary care to injured workers. You need to speak to an attorney who will better advise you as to your rights, remedies, and recommended courses of action. While this forum is a good one for general advice, there is no substitute for having an attorney as your advocate on a worker's compensation case.
View Details »

Q: What is the latest date a party can submit a motion in limine?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Kentucky on
Answered on Jul 21, 2017

Why not ask your lawyer? Short answer is that you can respond that the motions are untimely filed, do not comply with the rules, and should be stricken. That being said be prepeared to respond to what the motions say as a judge may decide to consider them nonetheless.
View Details »

Q: The air bag on my car exploded for no gave me a I have a lawsuit?

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Business Law for Kentucky on
Answered on Jul 18, 2017

Possibly. Contact a member of the Ky. Trial Lawyers Assn that handles product cases.
View Details »

Q: If we pay support to ky but are behind, if we move to florida will my fiance be arrested for failure to pay?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Kentucky on
Answered on Jul 17, 2017

You really need to talk to a KY or FL attorney. Laws are different in each state. In CO, you are not going to be arrested for not paying support, but could go to jail after a contempt of court hearing if you are found to be in contempt for not paying support. You could also be arrested if you are served with contempt papers, fail to appear, and then a warrant is issued.
View Details »

Q: I live in TN & my son lives in KY. Child support is set up in TN.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Kentucky on
Answered on Jul 5, 2017

You need to locate the mother and serve her with a petition to enforce your parenting time and to establish a set schedule. You could file the motion in the court that made the initial decision or where mom and child are living now. You should discuss the matter in detail with a local attorney to come up with a plan.
View Details »

Q: My father had major stroke in2000 leaving left side paralized, issues with sight ,and etc. My mother died2001.At time of

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Kentucky on
Answered on Jul 5, 2017

You have said four things that give me pause:

1) "somehow in 2007 was changed"

it sounds like you are implying there was some undue influence or lack of capacity ...

This is a VERY difficult thing to prove and you need to jump on that two years ago!

2) "comes up for final settlement oct/nov 2017."

That doesn't give you much time, and frankly, your deadlines may have already passed. Seek local help from a well seasoned Probate attorney to insure you have...
View Details »

Q: Two loss prevention men grabbed my mother and dragged her through a store. Are they allowed to do this?

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Sexual Harassment for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 29, 2017

The answer is more complicated than you may think. The key question is whether loss prevention had probable cause to believe that a person has shoplifted. They may then detain that person in reasonable manner for a reasonable amount of time to make a reasonable investigation. See Kentucky Revised Statute (KRS) 433.236.

Your mother may have a civil claim for false imprisonment and/or bodily injury or battery. She should consider contacting an attorney to discuss her claim and the...
View Details »

Q: My mom is in a nursing home and my question is if there is a nurse working there that I would prefer not to care for mom

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Nursing Home Abuse for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 28, 2017

You need to address your concerns with the nursing supervisor and director of the home. However, if your mother is receiving her medicine as prescribed, it does not appear at this point there is a valid claim for abuse or negligence.
View Details »

Q: Who's to blame, if a person takes another to dinner, which gets hit by champagne cork by the waiter?Waiter or restaurant

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 28, 2017

Both would have some degree of negligence. The restaurant would have potential liability as the employer and responsible for actions of employees.
View Details »

Q: My kids grandma filed for custody in Kentucky so I fled the state before the court date. What is going to happen?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 27, 2017

This is a question you need to pose to attorneys in Kentucky
View Details »

Q: Can a home be legally sold at auction if the home owner is not notified that a sale date has been rescheduled ?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 24, 2017

You need to find out how the notice of changed date was made. You need an attorney. Contact to find a consumer attorney near you. You must act immediately. You found out April and you are asking in late June? A court won't buy that. (Yes, I understand it's hard for a layperson to understand the procedures, but as it is the President is about cutting legal services to zero, so you may want to also take a few minutes to let your politicians know what is going on. However legal...
View Details »

Q: currently have joint custoday what are chances to get full custody or ammend that father can't have around certain peopl

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 23, 2017

If the father is taking the children around someone that has recently been the victim of attempted murder and there is still is the possibility that something like that could occur again, I believe most family court judges would understand your request to restrict who the children are around. You need a local attorney to discuss your specific options.
View Details »

Q: Could my future husband, an American, help me to apply for a Green Card while I am waiting for H-1B 2018 result?

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 22, 2017

You can do both H-1B and a marriage green card at the same time.
View Details »

Q: My ex has custody of our daughter. He has gotten multiple dui/drug charges since hes had her. Can I get soLe custody?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 21, 2017

You certainly may have grounds to ask the court to revisit the issue of custody. To fully answer the question, you need to talk to a local family law attorney in the jurisdiction of your case.
View Details »

Q: I was sentenced to5 years for child support the sentence ended this month how can they keep me on parole until 2099

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Child Support for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 16, 2017

You need to post this in ky lawyers.
View Details »

Q: Can someone get income by being involved in direct sales / MLM while on a H1? Thanks

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Employment Law and Immigration Law for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 16, 2017

An H-1B employee is only allowed to receive income from the H-1B employer as described in the H-1B petition. Working for any other employer would require a new petition or a "concurrent" H-1B petition from the second employer. H-1B also depends on an employer-employee relationship. One cannot run one's own business or engage in free-lance employment with an H-1B work permit.
View Details »

Q: My brother was robbed an murdered an missing the man who killed him placed his body on his mom an dads farm.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Wrongful Death for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 9, 2017

It's up to the DA to prosecute. You can sue, but unless these folks have money that won't get you anywhere. You can't do more that agitate peacefully.
View Details »

Q: I have a job offer in India. My family will stay in US. Would I have to pay tax to US? If so, how would I pay for it.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Kentucky on
Answered on Jun 5, 2017

US citizens living abroad still have to comply with US tax obligations. I have provided links to the IRS website, which should answer many of your questions.

Filing requirements for US citizens abroad:

If it's too much or too confusing, look for an experienced tax...
View Details »

Q: What needs to be done to adopt a child?

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Kentucky on
Answered on May 24, 2017

You need an attorney to petition the court for adoption and for termination of his parental rights.
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.