League City, TX asked in Construction Law for Texas

Q: Can I sue a contractor in league city, texas, that is incorporated; for a botched up bathroom. I have a lot of proof.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Edward J. Kazaleh
Edward J. Kazaleh
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The short answer is ... it depends.

I am an Engineer/Lawyer who does a lot of Construction law work and lawsuits. I'm also from Galveston (BOI)and know those Courts.

To establish liability you have to show the Contractor was negligent and under the most recent "tort reform" rules, have a report done detailing the defects giving the Contractor 60 days to resolve it. If there is no settlement or resolution after that, you then gain a right to sue. Most reputable contractors will work to resolve the matter or seek mediation/arbitration (may be required in some contracts) once they receive a Lawyer's demand letter and notice of potential lawsuit.

Also, you have to have good proof to prevail in Court.

Finally, the contractor actually has to have something to sue for... if it all is a Corporation, then that MAY be a buffer or the defendant may have already lost tons of lawsuits. Winning a Judgment (just a piece of paper)is nothing unless there is something to get paid from or insurance involved.

Why not contact us to set up a NO FEE NO OBLIGATION (Free) consultation?

I actually have a meeting in League City this weekend with a client and can maybe meet a Starbucks to evaluate your situation and give you what options I may provide. Some strong cases involving financially viable defendants may be handled on a contingency fee (Attorneys Fees only as a percentage of any recovery. if any).

Just contact me. Thanks Edward

EMAIL: constructionlaw@live.com

WEBSITE: www.bizlaw.pro

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.