Alabma, AL asked in Military Law for Alabama

Q: Can a Navy mother get full custody if she feels the father is not proving the best interest of the children?

Mother and father have joint custody but the father has them more due to mother being in the Navy and was being deployed and had no one eles to take them. Father is favoring the son more. Daughter is not doing good in school and no one is working with her at home. Mother is no longer getting deployed and has remarried. Father is taking steroids. She can provide a living,food and clothing

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William E. Scully Jr.
William E. Scully Jr.
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Daphne, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Changing a custody arrangement once it has been established is very difficult in Alabama. There is generally a presumption that disrupting a custody arrangement is more detrimental to a child than the benefit that might be gained from the change in custody. This doesn't mean that a change of custody is impossible, just difficult...and expensive. A couple of other things bother me about this question. If mom is in the Navy, WHERE is she in the Navy. I'm not aware of any Navy installations in Alabama. Mom might be a recruiter or work at a MEPS station, of course. But if mom is stationed outside the state of Alabama, it will be doubly difficult to change the custody arrangement. Since I know so little about the facts, it would be a mistake to rely on this little comment in making any serious decision. The mother should discuss the matter with her attorney. If she doesn't have an attorney, I will be happy to discuss the case with her. She can find my contact information on my profile page. I would need to speak with her directly, however. Friends can't get the free first thirty minutes of a consultation for somebody else...I charge the friends full freight! Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.