Texas, TX asked in Construction Law for Texas

Q: We are building a new home in texas. We are at 15-mths from start date. Our contract did not provide a completion date

We are building a new home in texas. We are at 15-mths from start date. Our contract did not provide a completion date. We were quoted 6-7mths prior to choosing the builder and during process until around 5-mths.

Do we have any recourse for interest costs for carrying construction loan this long or rental costs for apt during construction? Im thinking of any mths past 12-mths.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Edward J. Kazaleh
Edward J. Kazaleh
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You may indeed have some legal recourse and be able to recover damages, however, that all depends on your written agreements with the Builder as well. If there is no term for duration of completion, the Courts will impose what is a "reasonable" time period. For most new homes, that can be from 3 months to 6 months. I have not seen one go on that long, unless there is much more to this situation or someone is abusing their owed legal duties to another.

The best bet is to have an experienced Construction Attorney look at it all and give you an idea of what your options are. We offer a free initial consultation and have a great deal of similar experience in home builder disputes.

Please contact me if you would like: EMAIL ------> constructionlaw@live.com --------------> WEBSITE: www.bizlaw.pro

Thanks and best wishes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.