Graysville, PA asked in Bankruptcy for Pennsylvania

Q: New Chapter & Laws from this Januart

My brother filed chapter 7 6 or so years ago. He has been making his house payments on time. when we did not get a statement this month, we called. They said due to the new laws governing chapter 7 they can not longer send him a statement or try to collect this money in any way. They said it is not longer even considered a loan. They can no longer record this account in the credit bureaus or anything. They can not collect in any way. This was filed on his chapter 7 and they since it was not reafirrmed or something to that effect. They said he is just suppose to keep making the payment even though they are not allowed to collect the money. If he just does not sedn it in, they can forclose on his house. They said he is not personally responsible for this debt any more but he should just send it the money every month. What in the heck does have to pay or not and who do we talk to >

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Medvesky
Mark Medvesky
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Souderton, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You should go back to the attorney who filed the bankruptcy. I do not believe an actual reaffirmation agree is required. I have had this with car loans and people just pay their payments. Talk to his attorney. The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.