Bradenton, FL asked in Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: Fl. My 13 yr old son smacked a boy for making fun of him and charges were filed... what will happen in court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin J. Pitts
Kevin J. Pitts
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have two issues. The first is sanctions placed on him by the school. This can include suspension or expulsion. The second is court. He could be charged with battery, disorderly conduct or possibly disrupting a school function. He may have legal defenses for his actions. If he has not been in trouble before diversion might also be a possibility. The best thing to do is speak with an attorney in your area who has experience in juvenile law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.