Daphne, AL asked in Divorce for Alabama

Q: What are the first steps I need to do to obtain a divorce in Alabama. I have children and want custody. I have no money

My husband makes sure that if I get any money he uses it all. I can't keep anything from him. He has continually quit his job and dragged us all over the state. We've been homeless several times in the last few years. I have disabilities but haven't been able to finish my Social Security claim because he never wants us to stay in one place long enough. I have no transportation and no money. He spent all of our tax return money that was suppose to get us a place to stay. He stays at "work" until midnight, sometimes 2 or 3 am though the place closes at 9 and his checks don't reflect him working later than 9pm. He has cancelled all follow up doctors appointments I've had for my health problems and he's repeatedly cancelled the girls appointments. Then throws a fit and says it was my fault even though it was because he was somewhere with one of his friends. He has gotten it where my family won't have anything to do with us and I don't have any friends except a couple on the internet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Snellville, GA

A: Given that you have minor children and you want custody, I strongly recommend that you find a way to raise funds to hire an attorney who would agree to take your case for a reduced fee or pro bono. At the very least, you should seek to have a 30-60 minute consultation with an experienced divorce attorney. If you absolutely have to go it alone, you must file a complaint for divorce in the county where you and your husband reside. Turn to the internet and research Alabama's requirements for filing a contested divorce action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.