Hesperia, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: What steps/proceeds can I do to obtain the legal forms for a criminal exemption/or an exspung to clear my record.

It happen back in 1980.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David T Reagan
David T Reagan
  • Alameda, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I am not sure about a criminal exemption. Perhaps you could provide me more information. As to an expungement, also known as a dismissal under Penal Code section 1203.4, you can find the appropriate forms on the judicial council website, forms CR-180-181. http://www.courts.ca.gov/forms.htm?filter=CR Check the box that you want the case dismissed, and the felony reduced if that is possible (needs to be a "wobbler" that could have been charged as a felony or a misdemeanor). If you had a prison sentence, you will need to bring a Certificate of Rehabilitation, not an expungement. Also, if you lost your original court documents and case number, go to the court clerk to request them, and if the court clerk does not have the information, you can consider making a request for your criminal record with the DOJ. http://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.