Flint, MI asked in Divorce for Michigan

Q: Defendant in divorce case thats been dismissed due to plaintif not entering judgment for divorce in time. Can I file?

Can I file in a differant County. If I do can the dismissed cased be re-opened after I already filed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Champion
Robert Champion
  • Plainwell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can file for divorce - and you can file in the County that you live in (if you have lived there longer than 10 days). On the Summons, it will ask if there have been any previous actions - you will need to list the case number, court and judge of the case that was dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.